Friday, June 24, 2016

30dpo 6w5d - A minor deviation

Today is a sad day in the UK with the result of the referendum indicating that the general populace is perhaps not the most clever.  The currency is tanking.  One of the leaders of the 'leave' campaign is already admitting he lied about some of the arguments used to sway voters.  It's really just awful.

As someone with both US and UK citizenship, it's hard not to feel that there is no hope.  Sometimes when I look at the world I do honestly stop and wonder if the right thing to do is to bring another person into it.  What sort of place are we leaving for our children??!!  I see around me a world that is angry, full of hate, full of blame, lacking responsibility, empathy, etc.

This morning I reflected that in the past I have truly wondered how world wars happened.  How could people let them happen?  Where was the common sense?  How did it get so bad?  And yet I fear that I am watching that very thing happen now.  I can't fathom how people think that the decisions they make, in this country, in the States, in Australia, in the middle east, all over the world it seems- how are decisions based on isolationism, hatred, or fear acceptable?  How are these sociopathic leaders swaying masses of people to their cause?  And alongside that, as we bicker amongst ourselves and build walls and division, we're also destroying the planet.  It's just so awful.

I am surrounded, generally, by people who think very similarly to myself.  This means I am always astonished by the other side.  It's hard to remember, or acknowledge that I'm in a minority.  My work, my circle of friends, most of us are somehow involved in trying to make the world a better place. Like, our actual jobs are about exactly that. How utterly disheartening to think that it's all futile, and that humanity is doomed to self destruct.  I want to think more of people.  I want to believe in a better world for my hopeful child.  Sometimes, like today, it's just really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment