Friday, May 20, 2016

IVF 1 - Day 12 third scan and tenterhooks

Back from the clinic this morning, my gut was cooperating but the equipment was not.  All week my clinic has had some trouble with their new ultrasound machine in that it won't let the nurse tag the follicles correctly.  This happened on Monday and on Wednesday; today the nurse went and got the old machine because it was happening again.

The uterine lining was looking good and the ovary was clearly visible this time.  There are 6-7 good sized follicles of assorted sizes.  My biggest was 20mm and second was 18mm and then there were 4 or so around 14/15mm and a bunch around 10mm.  This creates a slight quandry.  Typically you can trigger once you have follicles over 18, but I have a bunch just behind.  So do we sacrifice the 20 to get the others to grow?  This decision will determine whether the egg retrieval is on Monday (I trigger tonight) or Wednesday.  Now I'm waiting for a phone call.  In the meantime, I decided to buy more drugs because I'm obviously very much hoping that they decide to do the retrieval on Wednesday.  I mean, obviously I want to do what's best to get the best result, but a Monday retrieval puts me in a 50% chance of having the bad schedule (if I need a 3-day transfer) whereas the Wednesday retrieval will be completely fine.  So now I'm waiting for them to check my blood estrogen levels and have a consultation with the doctors who meet over lunch.  I don't think I'll get a call before 4pm-ish.  So now I just wait.

It took 3 tries for them to get blood out of my fussy veins this time.  One of the nurses is getting super determined that she wants to get it on the first try.  I'm sort of hoping it's possible this is my last go at bloodwork there though.  I mean, I don't think I need another scan because they will just decide today when the collection is and another scan and blood test won't change that.

In the hopes that they will decide that my retrieval will be Monday, I had to buy more drugs; a 300 Gonal F pen and 3 Orgalutran/Ganirelex doses.  Luckily they have all that in the clinic and charge you the same as Healthcare at Home so there's no mark-up on the drugs.  I was also happy they had a 300 Gonal F pen because that's all I need and a larger pen would have cost more.

In other too much information news, all these drugs and what the nurse says are my estrogen levels are causing me to have a lot of vaginal mucus.  This is not so fun and perhaps a bit gross.  I hate wearing pads all the time as the lady bits like to breathe, so I'm just trying to be very clean and remember to go to the bathroom more frequently.  At least that part shouldn't last too much longer!  I think I remember it from my egg freezing cycles but maybe not this much?  I can't remember.

New budget update:

Previous total£12588
Extra drugs for cycle 1£241
New total £12829

No comments:

Post a Comment